If you take yoga class at a gym, a yoga studio or outdoors, the basic etiquette is pretty much the same. You don?t want to be ?that guy? in class that makes class miserable for everyone else.
Follow these simple rules:
- Respect the space. Put your shoes, socks, bags and other clothing in lockers if they exist. If they don?t, place them off to the side, keeping them as far away from the practice space as possible. You don?t want your water bottle rolling into someone?s downward dog or have someone step on one of your socks and fall down.
- Follow your instructor?s directions. Every instructor has a different way of teaching and a different way that he/she likes the yoga mats to be placed in the space.
- Don?t talk! Once yoga class has started don?t chat with your neighbors no matter how tempting it might be. That is not the time. It is very distracting to the other yogis in the class.
- Turn off all of your personal electronics. Don?t just put them on vibrate. That is distracting too.
- Don?t put on perfume or cologne until after class. Many people are extremely sensitive to scents and your artificial smell may ruin a class for a fellow student.